St Johns Primary School is one of the first projects to be completed under the second generation Framework and the first that Reading Borough Council delivered jointly as part of the Property Services Cluster Initiative with Hampshire and Surrey County Councils. The project involved a new build 8 classroom teaching block as well as remodelling and refurbishment of the existing school to accommodate an expansion to a two form entry school.
Features of the new project include:
- 1000m2 new build block on 2 floors achieving BREEAM ‘Very Good/ Excellent’ standard.
- 1500m2 of refurbishment / remodelling of existing school and attached church.
- Re modelling of existing landscape including creation of a new multi use games area and community play park.
- Fabric first design based on a Passivhaus approach – super insulated and high airtightness.
- Classrooms naturally ventilated using E-Stack system.
- Pupil Demand and Restricted Site
- Complex and multiple Stakeholders in a “live” environment
- Programme Pressure and Phasing
How Soft Landings delivered a successful building
The project is one of the first in the UK to adopt Soft Landings through all stages of the project. Soft Landings is a national initiative developed to improve the operational performance of buildings before and after handover. The primary focus for achieving this was consultation and collaboration.
- Viability study undertaken at stage A to establish whether this was the right project for the right site.
- An Operational Performance Workshop was held at stage D for design team, contractor client and end user to identify and if possible to design out elements likely to cause problems after handover. This then led to the formation of a specific risk register which was monitored regularly through design and construction to track potential problems.
- Regular and frequent co-ordination meetings with school, church and client throughout construction phase minimised disruption and established clear communication of snags and defects.
- Building Familiarisation including workshops with pupils and staff , training sessions with caretaker and Building User Guide.
- Fine tuning of Building Services including seasonal commissioning. The heating systems were commissioned in the summer and underwent a second period of adjustment in December to ensure optimum performance.
- On going energy monitoring and post occupancy evaluation after 12 months.