Millbank House Development (5 Great College Street) refurbishes a Grade II listed office building originally constructed between 1903 and 1906, mainly to be used by the House of Lords.
The works comprised extensive building refurbishment works and installation of new services, electrical resilience and chiller works. There were also extensive works to the internal courtyard, including a glazed walkway, a full height link structure and extensive hard landscaping.
- With the surrounding buildings occupied throughout the programme of works, the project required careful planning to ensure minimal disruption which was key to the success of the project.
- There was no access (other than pedestrian) to the central courtyard, requiring extensive craneage.
- The extent of new services required at Millbank was very substantial, including extensive air handling plant, large pipework and electrical panels. This had to be accommodated in the existing basement where space was severely restricted by limited headroom, available floor area and existing.
How these were delivered
- As part of this consideration for the House of Lords, Wates carried out the majority of disruptive works during recess periods.
- Close working between the design team, specialist supply chain and the client ensured optimal design solutions were developed which also minimised impact on users in occupied parts of the building.
- A crane was mounted on top of the existing roof to avoid the need and very high cost of the extensive road closures that
would have been required for a mobile crane solution.
- The MEP solution was developed using BIM, which ensured that the plant not only fitted the very limited space available, as well as allowing
the installation sequence to be carefully planned (picture of the very busy basement would be good). Key large plant items were designed to
be flat packed for insitu assembly.