Creating an all through school where students can develop to their full potential, Furze Down School will provide places for students between 4 and 19. The school has Special Status catering for students with speech and language delay; impairments or disorders, learning difficulties, complex learning difficulties and those with needs on the autistic spectrum.
Ensuring continuity of curriculum delivery is essential when working in sensitive live environments. Existing school buildings will remain operational during construction and until the transition into the new school. Once fully decanted the old school buildings will be demolished to form part of the external landscape and car park.
Considered design to maximise opportunities for Furze Down School: the new design takes advantage of its setting and will provide an outstanding learning environment for students and staff for years to come. The school has a centrally positioned ‘Heart’ & community focus celebrating and offering Communications and Creative Arts as the ‘outstanding specialism’s’ of the school.
- Cost efficient design.
- Aligning & managing Client & User expectations within a challenging budget.
- Working in a sensitive live environment.
- Difficult site abnormals – slope, flooding, below ground conditions, retention of existing buildings.
How these were delivered
- Workshops: including the detailed analysis and rework of the control option to develop more appropriate adjacencies & synergies in the application of Building Bulletin 102.
- Application of previous experience and best practice of working on SEN schools.