The project comprises the development of an innovative new engineering, manufacturing and advanced skills training centre for Fareham College. The new facility is the first key development at the newly designated Solent Enterprise Zone; and will act as a catalyst for the overall regeneration of the site. The facility will also be utilised as a forum for collaboration; bringing the College and local marine and aero engineering manufacturing industries together.
The new facility will house the College’s engineering department, comprising electrical, aeronautical, mechanical, marine and automotive engineering disciplines. Accommodation will primarily comprise of large open plan specialist workshop areas; supported by a suite of general classrooms and IT rooms, a larger conference room and dedicated LRC provision will permit the facility to operate independently of the main college campus. Other supporting facilities will include reception, administration, and staff work areas, café, social areas, toilets, stores and plant spaces. The scheme is targeted to achieve a BREEAM rating of “Very Good”.
- A design that responds to the end users needs (including the College and Local Industry).
- Reconciling the available budget for the M&E design with the aspirations for a modern and efficient building.
How these were delivered
- Detailed workshops to challenge and analyse the design thus delivering a final solution that satisfies client aspirations whilst achieving value for money.
- Regular interface meetings with HCC & HCA
- Acceptance of PQS’s cost plan as an appropriate target within which to manage and develop the M&E design, partnering with the Client to mutually agree solutions within the available cost envelope.