This project delivered a high quality, fit-for-purpose learning facility and social space for Exmouth Community College Academy Trust. The new building provides the College with a two storey, eight-classroom block with the future potential to extend to add a further eight classrooms and link corridor.
The maths block has been built on a brownfield site within the existing school campus. Several old buildings including an automotive workshop and a stable block were stripped of asbestos and demolished to make way for the new development.
Interserve provided support to the College and NPS to compile a grant application to secure the required funding for the project. Funding was provided by the Education Funding Agency Condition Improvement Fund, Devon County Council and the College. The college has also invested in new technology for the building, including eight virtual smart boards.
Additional car parking has also been provided for the school.
- The site was at the far end of the college
- Challenging site due to previous buildings
How these were delivered:
- We built a new entrance at the back of the college and next to site to ensure vehicles and deliveries did not go through the school. We employed a full time gateman to manage this entrance and had delivery embargoes around school drop off and pick up times.
- Regular communication between the College and our site team ensured that works / deliveries stopped whilst pupils walked over the pedestrian bridge, which links the two college campus’s together, between lessons. We were also able to ensure that all noisy works were programmed to occur outside of exam times for the pupils.
- The building was on the site of an old swimming pool. It would have been risky and expensive to use traditional footings due to the depth required to reach firm ground. We built a large raft footing which spanned the old pool and reduced risk, time, and excavated material.