The project was a design and build development of Oakleigh Road South Vehicle Depot to create a Barnet Council vehicle depot and a base for their fleet of 46 household recyclable waste collection vehicles. Now built, the depot will allow Barnet Council to operate its vehicle maintenance and recycling collection fleet from single coordinated site, ensuring the most efficient service for residents across the borough. The construction also consisted of a tractor barn and car parking, together with associated ancillary facilities, a recycling waste transfer building and bulking facility, a two storey office and welfare building.
- Restricted access having a very long and narrow site
- Huge underground drainage structures required removing
- Significant and buried hazardous waste required addressing
- Below ground water (a varied levelled required temp
- To create a Visual impact to the local area
- Multiple stakeholder engagement
How we delivered our services
- Dry recyclables and food waste are removed from site before the end of each day to mitigate any smell.
- Extra trees were planted on the embankments around the depot site to ensure minimal visual impact.
- We found existing sewers that we then got permission from Thames Water to use them instead.
- We worked in a ‘patchwork’ fashion, sectioning off the works and moving operations around to keep the access road fully open throughout the build.
- We found a solution using a land drain pump to drain the ground water which was causing surface water.